Thanksgiving Bread Recipes
Pizza stones are not just for pizzas. In fact, there are several tasty treats you can make with a little imagination and skill. Your CastElegance pizza stones can help you turn out a magnificent Thanksgiving feast.
In a recent article, we describe how pizza stones for ovens are ideal for perfecting your Thanksgiving bird. And pizza stones for ovens are equally well-matched for making Thanksgiving bread treats that complete your family feast.
We have a great article, Bread Master Class, for you to check out. It explains how and why CastElegance pizza stones make fantastic bread. Pizza Stones for grills are great for making fragrant fresh bread. Similarly, CastElegance pizza stones for ovens will make perfectly lovely, irresistible loaves.
In this article we offer some perfect Thanksgiving recipes to wow your friends and family.
Try out our Garlic & Rosemary Breadsticks, Perfect Pumpkin Bread, Cranberry & Walnut Bread, and Cheddar Chipotle Bread.
Our first recipe is for delicious herb-seasoned breadsticks coated in garlic butter. They bake quickly and perfectly on your CastElegance pizza stone.
Garlic & Rosemary Breadsticks
Makes: 20 Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 12 mins
You will need: One large or two small CastElegance pizza stones for grills
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced small
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Place one large or two small CastElegance baking / pizza stone(s) for grills on the highest grill setting to them very hot.
- Measure the flour, herbs, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Gradually stir in the milk to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead for a full minute or two. Next, divide the dough to five roughly equal portions. Roll each portion into a rope-like shape approximately 1/4 inch thick. Cut each rope into four “sticks.”
- Melt one tablespoon of butter and combine it with one tablespoon of olive oil. Lightly brush each bread stick with the mixture.
- Working quickly, dust your hot CastElegance pizza stone(s) with cornmeal. Arrange the breadsticks on the stone so they’re not touching one another. Return the stone to the grill or oven; bake for about ten minutes or until the breadsticks are golden.
- While your bread sticks are baking, heat the remaining butter and garlic until gently until the garlic is fragrant.
- After removing the baked breadsticks from the oven, brush the butter/garlic mixture over your bread sticks. Serve immediately.
Everyone loves pumpkin bread at Thanksgiving. Try out this simple recipe to make delicious and seasonally appropriate Perfect Pumpkin Bread.
Perfect Pumpkin Bread
Total Time: 18 hours 30 mins Makes: 8 servings 179 calories
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 50 mins
You will need: One large or two small CastElegance pizza stones
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
1 packet active dry yeast
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
2 teaspoons cornmeal, or more if needed
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, water, yeast, salt, and spice. Stir well until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour; mix together until all the flour is incorporated.
- Cover bowl with a damp towel. Allow the dough to rise overnight (12 to 16 hours).
- Pace the dough onto a floured surface. Roll it out to a roughly square shape approximately one inch thick. Next, pull the corners of the square into the center to form a rounded loaf. Don’t worry about making a perfectly symmetrical loaf; after all, you’re aiming for a rustic look.
4 Dust your pizza peel with cornmeal, and put your loaf on the peel. Cover the loaf with a damp towel and set it aside to rise for around an hour to an hour and a half, until it’s doubled in size.
- As soon as you’ve set the loaf aside, put your Cast Elegance pizza stone in your oven on the middle shelf and heat to 425 degrees F. Pour about two inches of water into an oven-proof pan; set the pan on the bottom shelf of the oven to create a steamy environment for your bread during the baking process.
- When the loaf has doubled in size, score the top of the loaf with a sharp knife and quickly transfer it to the pizza stone.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes, rotating the stone once midway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- Your pumpkin bread is ready to remove from the oven when it looks golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Our Cranberry and Walnut Bread is delicious and traditional, and your CastElegance baking / pizza stone will do a super job of making this holiday treat.
Cranberry and Walnut Bread
Makes: 2 loaves Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 40 mins
You will need: One large or two small CastElegance pizza stones for ovens
1-1/2 cups warm water
2 packets active dry yeast
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups dried cranberries
2 cups chopped walnuts
- Place the warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Stir well. Stir in one cup of the flour. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes.
- Add the honey, olive oil, salt and cinnamon. Mix until well combined. Then add the remaining flour and mix well. Knead the mixture for a few minutes until the dough is soft and elastic. (You can use the dough hook of your mixer if you prefer.)
- Place the ball of dough into a well-oiled bowl, and then turn to ensure the entire ball is covered with oil. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth. Allow the dough to rest in a warm place until doubled in size—normally an hour to 90 minutes.
- Remove the risen dough from the bowl. Place on a floured surface and press down so the air escapes. Add the cranberries and walnuts. Work them into the dough by kneading by hand.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and place your CastElegance baking / pizza stone inside to heat up.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into two loaves. Place the loaves on a well-floured flat baking tray or pizza peel and cover again with a damp towel. Allow the loaves to rise for a second time until they’ve doubled in size. Then dust the top of each loaf lightly with flour. Using a sharp knife, slice an “X” about one-inch deep into the top of the loaves.
- Carefully transfer the loaves onto the hot pizza stone(s). Bake approximately 30 or 40 minutes until golden brown. (The loaf will sound hollow when you tap it.)
This bread is fabulous when served with a selection of cheeses as a satisfying savory end to a Thanksgiving meal.
You can serve this amazing Cheddar Chipotle Bread as part of a Thanksgiving meal and also for making sandwiches made with leftover turkey.
Cheddar Chipotle Bread
Total Time: 2 hours 25 mins 24 servings 298 calories
Prep time: 25 mins Bake Time: 20 mins
You will need: One large or two small Cast Elegance pizza stones
9 cups all-purpose flour
1 packet active dry yeast
3 cups warm water approximately 100 degrees F
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 of a seven-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 pound Cheddar cheese, cubed
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup cornmeal for dusting
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the water, and allow it to stand for five minutes until creamy and foamy.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups of the flour along with the salt, Stir in the yeast mixture to form a smooth batter. Set it aside for 15 minutes to allow the flour to combine with the liquid.
- Add more flour, one cup at a time, stirring until you have a smooth dough. Allow the dough to rest again for 15 minutes.
- If you want a spicy-hot bread, use the chilies as they are; for a milder flavor, remove the seeds from the chilies. Either way, puree the chilies. Cube the cream cheese. Incorporate the grated Parmesan, grated cheddar, cubed cream cheese, and pureed chipotles into your dough. Knead the dough to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Place the dough in a large, well-oiled bowl. Turn the dough to coat it with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place for around 45 minutes. Once the dough has doubled in size, press it down with your fist to remove the air. Set it aside (covered with a cloth) to rise again.
- Immediately put your baking stone on the middle shelf of your oven. Turn the heat to 450 degrees F.
- When the dough has doubled in size, dust your pizza peel with cornmeal. Divide the dough into four equal pieces and shape them into round mini loaves. Cover once again with a damp cloth and allow them to rest for 15 minutes before transferring them to your hot baking / pizza stone.
- Return the stone to the oven and bake your loaves for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove them from the oven when the crusts are golden brown and the loaves sound hollow when thumped.
All these recipes are well-suited for Thanksgiving and we hope you enjoy making them as much as we do. If you have any comments or requests, we’d love to hear from you.
You can get in touch with the CastElegance team at Support@CastElegance.com
Happy holidays from the CastElegance team.