If you have invested in a pizza stone for the oven or a pizza stone for the grill, chances are you love pizza. Now you can use a Cast Elegance pizza stone for the grill as well as for the oven to make delicious keto friendly treats.
However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t hundreds of healthy recipes that you can use with your Cast Elegance pizza stone to make foods that will fit virtually any diet plan or personal preference.
Proving extremely popular for many years now is a ketogenic diet. While a typical low fat and low-calorie diet will combat obesity and get you on a path to a slim new you, a ketogenic diet is a specially developed diet that’s recommended often for a plethora of common health complaints and serious illnesses.
Health Reasons for following a Ketogenic Diet
If you are suffering the ill-effects of any the below illnesses, maybe you should discuss the benefits of a ketogenic diet with the guidance of your doctor.
- Type 2 diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes
- Parkinson’s disease
- High blood pressure
- Fatty liver disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Chronic inflammation
- High blood sugar levels
- Heart disease
If you are embarking on a ketogenic diet because you’re hoping for long-term health gains in seeking an improvement in your symptoms or using the diet as a preventive measure, then you’re probably thinking that enjoying pizza is a thing of the past.
Perhaps you have decided that you’re willing to endure the sacrifice, and just continue making pizza now for your family without eating it yourself. At least you’ll get the fun of making it. You’ll get to smell the delicious cooking aromas. But you’ll have to sit on the sidelines in purgatory as your family digs in. You, on the other hand, will sit righteously at the table, lapping up the compliments and focusing on how “kind” you’re being to your body, all the while enduring the torture.
Good news: That simply isn’t the case. Certainly, a ketogenic diet is a low-carb diet. You’re probably wondering how on earth does leave open the possibility of eating pizza?
With some clever cooking, a few smarter recipes, and of course, your Cast Elegance pizza stone, you can literally have your pizza and eat it, too.
Ketogenic Ingredient List
If you’re familiar with ketogenic diets, then you will probably associate the diet with one that’s high in red meat. It may be difficult for you to conceive how this diet could possibly lend itself to a pizza of any kind – much less something delicious.
Happily, there are lots of ingredients on our list that read like your favorite pizza topping list, so read on. You are in for a treat.
Meat and Poultry
You can happily indulge in meat and poultry on a ketogenic diet. And they make appealing and flavorful toppings for your keto-friendly pizza.
Meat and poultry are carb-free, and they can be a good source of B vitamins. A ketogenic diet often calls for grass-fed meat, which contains higher levels of omega-3 fats, conjugated linoleic acid, and antioxidants. Check nearby stores for local options.
Seafood and Fish
Fish and seafood are super keto-friendly. Most fish and seafoods are carb-free, and they’re typically packed with B vitamins, potassium and selenium.
Eating fish and seafood is linked to better insulin levels. That makes them smart choices for people who are diabetic. Including fish and other seafood in the diet is also said to be linked to better mental health, so pile your pizza high with fishy toppings.
No major news here: Vegetables are great for your health. They’ re packed with fiber and vitamins. By all means, generously top your pizza with lots of your favorite fresh vegetables.
You can also make “spaghetti” from zucchini to make a pasta-and-pizza treat.
Cheese is one of the key ingredients that makes pizza so delicious. It’s packed with protein, and nutritionists longer associate it with increases in bad cholesterol.
Cheese is credited with promoting muscle mass and fat loss. It’s an excellent source of calcium, and it’s said to slow down the aging process.
You will see in our pizza recipes that parmesan is used in the base. You can also liberally sprinkle your pizza with mozzarella and add any other cheese of your liking.
Before the turn of the century, eggs were thought to be detrimental to health. Many people limited egg intake for that reason. These days, however, eggs are widely accepted as an excellent food.
Eggs are delicious. They are packed with protein, they make you feel full, and don’t increase bad cholesterol as was previously thought.
You’ll find eggs make an effective binding ingredient in our pizza bases (recipes below). You could also use hard-boiled eggs as an unusual delicious topping.
Olive oil, long a staple in classic Mediterranean diets, is heart-healthy. Experts say it helps improve artery function. Drizzling over your pizza before serving will amp up the rich flavor, too.
Why not use olive oil to make a lusciously healthy salad dressing and—and serve a vitamin-rich salad alongside your pizza?
Olives provide the same health benefits as olive oil. They’re famous for repairing cells, lowering blood pressure, and preventing bone density loss.
Obviously, olives make a spectacular and zesty topping for pizzas, and they add fiber as well.
So now that you have amassed all these delicious elements for topping your pizza, it’s time for the tricky part: the base.
We have two perfect tried-and-tested pizza bases for you to try out. They take a little work to master, but with practice you’ll get it down to an art. Needless to say, your Cast Elegance pizza stone is key to your success as a pizza “designer.” Pizza making can be a creative and guilt-free pleasure—and a pastime that will do you a world of good.
The first recipe is ideal if you are following a strict ketogenic diet. It’s very low in calories.
EASY LOW-CARB CAULIFLOWER PIZZA
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes.
Total Time 40 minutes.
Yields 8 slices. (Calories approx. 75)
- 10 ounces cauliflower or 4 cups florets, stem removed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten (measuring about 1/4 cup)
- Marinara sauce, toppings, and cheese to your liking
- Set to the highest setting (around 400 – 425°F). Place your Cast Elegance pizza stone in the oven for 30 minutes or longer to ensure it’s super-hot and ready for your pizza.
- Next, place the cauliflower in a food processor. Pulse the cauliflower until the texture is crumbly–resembling rice.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a dry skillet. Cook it over medium to high heat while stirring constantly. This will remove moisture. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add your parmesan cheese and your seasonings. Cook over medium heat, continuing to watch the mixture carefully until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the beaten egg.
- Cover your pizza paddle with parchment paper and spray it with a high-quality olive oil cooking spray. Using your hands, flatten out the pizza base as best you can. If the mixture is too sticky, you can place an additional piece of parchment on top of the crust while pressing it into place – but remove the top sheet before baking.
- Transfer your pizza base from the paddle onto the pizza stone in the oven; bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the stone from the oven. Working quickly, top the base with your ready-to-go marinara sauce, any other desired toppings. and mozzarella. Return the pizza to the oven for a final ten minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Cut into eight slices and serve.
For this pizza version, you may have to forego the casual dining experience and opt for a knife and fork. Enjoy!
The second pizza crust uses almond flour. The base will be a bit easier to handle; once baked, you should be able to pick it up and eat it by the slice.
CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST
Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 40 minutes Total Time 40 minutes Servings 8 slices Calories approx. 125 kcal
- 10 ounces cauliflower or 4 cups florets, stem removed
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten (about 1/4 cup)
- Marinara sauce, toppings of your choice, and cheese
- As before, heat your oven to the highest “bake” setting, placing your Cast Elegance pizza stone in the oven for 30 minutes or longer so that it is super-hot and ready for your pizza.
- Next, rice your cauliflower in your food processor as the recipe above instructs. You may have to do this in batches to ensure a uniform “rice” size.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave this on high for about 3 minutes or until the cauliflower steams. Remove the bowl and carefully spoon the cauliflower on a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out as much water out as possible.
- Discard the water and place the cauliflower in a large bowl. Add the Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, almond flour, and oregano.
- Cover your pizza paddle with a sheet of parchment paper; it with a high-quality olive oil cooking spray. Using your hands, shape the cauliflower mixture into a round disk approximately 1/2″ thick and 10″ in diameter. (Once again, if the mixture is too sticky, you can cover it with an additional piece of parchment for easier handling – and then discard that extra sheet.
- Transfer your pizza base onto your hot pizza stone in the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- When the crust starts to brown, remove from the oven. Working quickly, top with your ready-to-go marinara sauce, any other toppings of your choice, and mozzarella. Bake for about ten minutes longer, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Allow the pizza to cool for five minutes, and then drizzle with a little olive oil. Cut into eight slices and serve.
Don’t forget, these recipes can be made on your Cast Elegance pizza stone for the grill as well as for the oven.
And finally, for dessert…
Fruit is not big on ketogenic diets because of its high natural sugar content. But cream, dark chocolate and berries are agreeable foods on a ketogenic diet. And most clever cooks can whip up a treat with these ingredients.
Whip up a bowl of cream. Add raspberries. For an-extra special treat, add a light drizzle of melted dark chocolate, which is packed with healthy flavanols. What could be an easier and more delicious end to a terrific pizza meal?